14 February 2008

V-Day

Bridge Man and I are not exchanging gifts for Valentine's Day this year. Not that we ever put an extravagant amount of thought into the day in the past. Last year we exchanged cards and took a weekend trip to Chicago.

But this year is different. Why? Because we are sans one income and because we have a giant party that's coming up in August to pay for that is getting ridiculously expensive. So after I finish filling you in on our V-Day escapades I will head out into the freezing weather to buy a romantic card, take some time to add my own personal little note, and then head to class. That's right, class. Instead of sipping a glass of Molti Bianchi with my main squeeze on this, the day of love, I will likely be wrapping some purple (grey) hair into a flat-wrap perm or putting low-lites onto an over processed, over bleached 17 year-old head of hair. Good times.

Speaking of wedding stuff… (Per my brief mention above, you know that party in August.) The date is getting alarmingly close and there is still a frightening amount of work to be done.

I've picked out flowers:

Calla Lillies


Oriental Lillies


We've ordered the cake:


It will look similar to this. But because I personalized it and made it my own I don't have an exact photo of what it will look like. It will be square with simple black trim but there will only be three tiers and no weird calla lily topper. Instead, there will be the plum colored calla lillies on each tier. The topper is yet to be decided. (If at all.)

The tuxes have been picked out and ordered. I will be ordering my dress this weekend. (I thought about linking a picture of the dress but I decided that a girls got to have some secrets. Plus, Bridge Man will be reading this and I promised both moms that he wouldn't see the dress before the wedding.)

We're meeting with a potential photographer next week. Check out his website. I love the creative angles and shots in each photo. I really hope it works out with this photog, I fell in love with his work and have my hopes way, WAY up. (Fingers crossed.)

And the most exciting thing of all, we picked out the officiant. We decided to go the ordained minister route and have asked someone who is close to both Bridge Man and myself. I have known her since I was... (thinking way, way back)... since I was four years old. I was so nervous to ask her for such a huge favor. I didn't want her to feel obligated. But she said yes!

I think that's about all I have done for the wedding. I'm working on picking out a DJ and deciding upon important songs. I was thinking about non-traditional ceremony music but haven't made any concrete decisions yet.

Normally I am not one to freak out about things like this. And up until recently, I have been a very laid back bride. But when someone tells me that my wedding is in a mere six months and I haven't decided upon center pieces my heart starts to race and I get a little antsy. Hence the blog that lacks any semblance of flow or of a complete thought. So you will have to bear with me while I work this thing out.

4 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

Ooh, calalilies, and cake...

so much pretty-ness! I love it!

sneal_says said...

Love the photog's website! I couldn't stop looking at it. Gorgeous! My fingers are crossed for you too.

Now DAMN! Bridesmaid dresses...

Bonnie said...

My dj was GREAT if you want/need a recommendation. They switch songs if no one's dancing, it's a mom and pop shop kind of deal so they're quality without pricey. And if you're lucky, like I was, you might get the Rod Stewart impersonater to dj like I did. :)

And good call with Seth - he and Mar are a great team and his pics are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

You just left for home this morning and I miss you guys...and so does Max! But reading this, I realized that you NOW have a topper for your wedding cake.

You're welcome.

Love you both.