02 January 2008

Why in the ...

Disclaimer: For the regular readers of Spotless Mind. The following blog is not from the mind of Xteener. It is from the mind of Bridge Man.

A few days ago I was asked to write a blog for Xteener. I agreed and said I would need to think of something good about which to blog. I guess today is the day and the subject.....politics. However, I almost chose not to write after reading the last few blogs by Xteener. Having been touched, affected, involved (I don't know the appropriate word to describe my place in such an event) by the "life changing event" of which Xteener wrote and obviously being emotionally affected, some political whining by me didn't seem to matter. But, I was wrong; it does matter; it doesn't compare in importance but it does matter.

In a few hours some citizens of Iowa will go to their designated polling place to caucus for the presidential candidate whom they think will best represent the Democratic Party in the run for President of the United States. I'm sure some of you who pay little or no attention to politics could care less about the first primary election or the second or third. I know, it's not very exciting and it's not even the big November election so who cares, right? You don't have to care or pay attention or even give it a second thought but it is fairly important.

Each state chooses when to hold its primary election and Iowa is always first so naturally the candidates spend a lot of time in Iowa prior to the primary elections. When was the last time a candidate visited Alaska or North Dakota? I don't know and you probably don't either because they don't go there because those states don't matter. By the time these primaries are held the candidates are pretty well chosen. If a candidate doesn't win the first 3 or 4 they have no momentum to win in the following states and they drop out. So, basically Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina decide the 2 choices we get (usually they both suck) when electing a president. Why in the F should the choices of Iowans have so much more weight than mine and yours? It shouldn't; not that those citizens are incompetent to make the choice but they don't deserve more influence. My point is this...every primary election in the country should be held on the same day similar to that of the general election. Write your Senators and Representatives; every state should be just as influential as the other.

I hope you enjoyed the blog. Tune in next time for another Xteener blog.
Thank you, Bridge Man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea of having all primary elections (no crazy caucuses) on the same day. But then we wouldn't have had the MAGIC of Iowa last week. Those crazy Iowans did me proud. Except for the Republican ones. Really, Republicans? I mean, REALLY??

Thanks for your post, Bridge Man. I recommend you for a regular guest spot.