31 August 2007

I Know You Are But What Am I?

I went out with J last night since we haven't done anything, just us chicas in a while. We ran into some welcome, familiar faces in addition to the usual unwelcome and unfamiliar faces. I don't understand why guys think that just because a girl is out in a bar she wants to be picked up. What's the thought process here? "Wow, that girl is hot. I bet if I go over there and lay my best line on her she'll want me baaaaad!"

I digress. Although, I complain, a laughable pick-up line from a slimy chump would have been better than what actually happened.

Random Dude: (To J) Wow, you have great hair.
J: Thanks. What’s your name?

(This is where they make their introductions to each other, but I'll spare you that dialogue.)

RD: I love that color.
J: (Pointing at me) She colored it for me.
RD: (To me) Oh, what’s your name?

(This is where we make our introductions as if I hadn’t been standing there the entire time.)

RD: (To J) You look really great tonight.
J: Thanks.

(He walks away for a while. Then he decides to come back after a long time of contemplating his next move with J.)

RD: Wow, that’s a great shirt you’re wearing.
J: Uh, thanks.
RD: (He looks her up and down) You really look great tonight.

(He emphasizes his point with two classy thumbs up and continues…)

RD: (He then looks me up and down) You look… (He see-saws his hand in a so-so fashion and continues) … ehh.

Me: (Shocked and upset, but never one to miss a beat, I look him up and down and say…) You look, um… (Without completing my sentence I give him two hugely emphasized thumbs down and walk away.)

I know, I know, I lowered myself to his level, but he totally deserved it. (Na-nana-nana-na!)



But what sucks the most is that what this stranger said actually had an effect on me. I did cry, twice, once in the filthy bathroom of the bar and the second time after I got home and told Bridge Man what happened. The end result: all of my plaguing insecurities are hanging on a neon light right above my head to remind me that maybe my ghetto fabulous booty isn’t so fabulous, maybe my ebony hair is too dark for my face, and maybe, just maybe, all of those insecurities that I pass off as just that, are not figments of my imagination but honest-to-goodness facts that I’ve chosen to ignore.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

While I would probably feel the exact same way as you, it's not true. And really, who gives a damn what such a jerk would say. If only he knew just how far away from being a good guy and a true man he is.

Anonymous said...

Nope, not the case. He's a jerk. A total jerk. Fight off those negative feelings he forced on you as hard as you can, and then try to figure out what this episode can teach you:

1. Some people are jerks who are best ignored. (He was just as much of a disrespectful jerk to J, but in a different way. Approaching a woman for her appearance, which is all he was doing, is just as disrespectful of the inner person.)
2. Your Bridge Man loves you. Truly.
3. If Jerk made you feel insecure about something, that's a sign to work on getting secure about that something.

Sending you hugs in a force field against all jerkiness.

Anonymous said...

I may be old, but I've been there, Sweetie. And, yes, it makes you doubt your choices...hair, clothes, makeup...whatever. But don't let anyone, not even Bridge Man, whom I love completely, define who you are. You are a unique person. And I mean the person "you", not the general, all inclusive "you." And you're a beautiful person on the inside, but that's not what we're talking about here, right? So let me tell you, in complete and utter honesty, that you're also an absolutely beautiful person on the outside. I have pictures to prove it!! Love you, Kiddo.

Anonymous said...

This moron was not seeing clearly that night. You are truly the most beautiful person I have ever known inside and out. I love you more and more each day. You are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you used language RD could understand...doesn't sound like the most educated person on the face of the planet {2 thumbs waaaayyy up} I generally like to say "I'm sorry" and wave my pinky finger...because he is obviously suffering badly!!